Edinburgh Trams Dvd

Edinburgh occupies a unique place in the history of British tramways.

Horse cars were operated from 1871-1907.

Cable trams (the fifth largest system in the world) from 1888-1923.

Electric trams did not arrive until 1922 except for a line in Musselburgh (1904).

Leith, then an independent burgh (1905) and a short line to Slateford (1910).

Extensions were built until 1937 and new trams emerged from Shrubhill works until 1950.

The first service was replaced by buses in 1950, with the last trams operating on 16th November 1956.

This programme captures the time when trams dominated the city.

Also featuring vintage vehicles, buses, trains, street furniture, fashions, shops, streets and scenes long since disappeared.

An evocative selection of films (much in colour), depicting Edinburgh trams.

Most types seen in action - ex-cable, Wood Standards, 'Pickerings'.

Experimentals including 'Red Biddy'.

Shrubhill Standards and 'Manchesters'.

Excellent sequences capture cars at key locations: Tollcross, West End, Princes Street, The Mound, The Bridges, Leith Street and Leith Walk.

Detailed route coverage begins in 1954 with scenes on Seafield Road.

Along the main trunk route to Corstorphine with trams at the West End, Haymarket, the Zoo and in splendid isolation at The Maybury.

At Levenhall trams are seen on the single track section including ‘tattie’ loop.

At the busy Kings’ Road junction and loading at Waterloo Place.

1955 concentrates upon the heavily used Colinton route with its two stretches of single track and tightly-angled S-bends.

In 1956, the final year of operation, the dapper madder and white trams tackle the many steep grades including Liberton, Fairmilehead, Hanover Street and The Mound.

They pass smartly through the salubrious south-side suburbs of Churchill, Marchmont and Morningside.

Whilst in the north they weave through the docks and port of Leith.

Pass shunting steam locomotives.

Enter the quaint fishing village of Newhaven and along the narrow coast road to Granton.

Many aspects of the former Leith system are fully documented: the superb ornate poles, Bernard

Street swing bridge and Trinity tram pinch.

Coverage concludes with views, especially in the Old Town, of last two routes – the 23 and 28.

Special Features:

Trams and rugby crowds at Murrayfield in 1936 and 1954.

Interior scenes at Shrubhill and Tollcross.

Edinburgh’s famous parcels service.

A Spectacular re-wiring.

A works tram in action.

Last week activity including the decorated car 172.

Final night scenes and the one that got away.

A feast of memories

Approx. 120 minutes.

This new dvd is being sold with full permission of Heritage in Motion.

Quantity
Product in stock

Price: £15.99

Loading Updating cart...
LoadingUpdating...